Becoming aware of the different sensations that arise in our body can teach us to be more in tune with our bodies. A body scan is a mindful form of meditation in which we take awareness to different areas paying attention to how it feels. This can help us connect our minds and body and promote better self awareness. Noticing the tell tale signs of when we are storing something inside. A body scan helps us to notice tension and allows us the time to release. Ready for a dose of mindfulness? Come to your senses with these body scan exercises to improve physical awareness.
How can a body scan meditation help us?
We live our lives through our bodies, but most of the time we only experience them through our minds perception. However, we can learn to become more present in each moment by improving our bodies awareness instead of focusing on the ever changing thoughts. We are easily distracted into thoughts of the past, or future. Often we miss out on truly experiencing what’s happening around us. But by channelling our energy towards mindful activity such as yoga and meditation, we can learn to recognise our reactions. Noticing when we start to slip into thoughts and stories, and how our bodies react to different feelings and emotions.
Try this Mindful Body Scan to help build a better connection to your breath and body.
Mindful Body Scan
- Begin by lying on your back. Choose a comfortable surface such as your yoga mat, or bed. Close down the eyes and allow the body to come into a state of stillness.
- Tune into the breath and just focus on each inhale and exhale. Breathe through the nose and keep the lips gently sealed. Try to lengthen each breath, perhaps breathing in for a count of 5 and breathing out for a count of 5. This helps to bring the body into a state of calm and presence.
- Bring your awareness into the toes, the soles of the feet, the tops of the feet, the ankles. Being really deliberate and taking your time to breathe into any sensations or feelings within the areas of the body.
- Begin to work your way up through the body, taking the focus towards the calves, the shins, knees, thighs, hips, back, stomach, chest, shoulders, arms, hands, fingers, back up to the neck. Notice the jaw, the cheeks, the nose, soften the eyelids, the forehead, all the way to the crown of the head.
- Allow the mind time to connect to any sensations, and taking time to simply acknowledge with no judgement. If any thoughts arise throughout the practice, just let them pass by without creating any attachment. Focus back on the breath and on the body.
- Reverse the scan, this time starting from the crown of the head. When you reach back to the toes, try to expand your awareness to the body as a whole. Allowing the whole body to come into a state of deep relaxation and heaviness.
- Slowly when you are ready, bring your awareness back into the physical world and create small movements in the fingers, toes, wrists and ankles. Gently blink open the eyes.
Find a mat that supports you.
Our Fable Yoga Mats are designed to support and protect joints during your practice, making them the perfect partner for your body scan. Shop the range HERE.
For more guided meditations you can do anytime, anywhere join our Meditation Series to add a moment of calm to your week.